Monday, September 28, 2009

Parenting

This is someone I don't know climbing Hanging Humor [5.10] at heise rock. this is the warm-up route for a lot of my fellow climbers. I've been up it a few times, but still haven't redpointed.


that's not really the point of this post though.

A a few days ago, I went climbing with my friend Sam and a new friend, Heather. Heather is a pretty dang seasoned climber and a mother of three. The kids came along, eating pizza, playing in the grass and on the base of the rock.

Heather was working into the crux of Hanging Humor when her oldest daughter came waddling over, clutching her pants and wailing "Mom! I'm going to poop my pants and I REALLY MEAN IT!"

There went the redpoint. She ended up squatting behind a bush.

About a half hour later, Heather was belaying me on Equalibrium [5.11b]. This route kicks me off in exactly the same place every time. As i shifted my weight, the kids began tugging at her harness, whining that they were ready to go home. While comforting the kids, she noticed my sloppy footwork and moved closer to the rock, anticipating my fall.

I don't really know much about raising kids, but this was something I could relate to. It's gonna be pretty fun.

No comments: