Thursday, March 25, 2010

Daria

I came up with a creative way to figure out what that annoying squealing noise is that my car makes. I would use a spectrum analyzer to show me what frequency the squeal is, which in a perfect world would be the same as the rotational speed of whatever's broken. I could then calculate how fast each pulley on the accessory belt was spinning pretty easily, and match the noise with the guilty pulley. 

unfortunately the car (surprise!) wouldn't make the noise for me. 

excerpt from the write-up: 

"Having successfully worked my theory out on paper, I borrowed a very “experienced” Ivie IE-30 Audio Spectrum Analyzer from work, got in the car with my lovely assistant Doug, and drove up some hills trying to induce the irritating sound. It refused. I soon discovered that the character of the machine was very much like several women I have been closely acquainted with; when it complains, it only wishes to be listened to, not to have those complaints addressed."

4 comments:

Unknown said...

hahahahahahaha!
love it.

Lyndee said...

Give him Hell Daria haha!!

Jon said...

bwahahahahaha!

soli said...

"in a perfect world"
seriously though, if your car has lots of squealing, this is a GREAT idea! well done, j!