Wednesday, February 2, 2011

the good book

The King James Version of the Bible has done more to enlighten the western hemisphere than any other publication.

I was raised on its potent vocabulary. Before I learned any physics, the declaration "In the beginning God created the Heaven and the Earth" resounded in my curious mind. Before I opened any Christmas presents, my father read "and Joseph went up from Galilee... to be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child." In a time of internal turmoil, Isaiah provided moments of intense comfort.  "Incline your ear, and come unto me: hear, and your soul shall live."

One of my professors mentioned that this year marks the 400th anniversary of the KJV. This seems like a terribly appropriate time to read the thing in it's entirety. I just finished Genesis, so I better get a move on if i'm going to finish by 2012.

If you'd like to join me, you'll need to read 4.52 pages a day.

1 comment:

Jon said...

I've been working on it... but I started a while back. I'm in Judges. It's amazing how much more I understand just from reading the books of Moses alone.